How to make Fruit Gin

I was meant to publish this post last year, I’ve only just got around to writing it. Oops, sorry about that….

Anyway, it was autumn 2020 and we were discussing Christmas presents for our families. We wanted to make something, but wasn’t too sure. After a week of going back and fourth with ideas, we settled with fruit Gin.

So off we went, foraging through the local hedgerows and came back with a haul of elderberries and blackberries.

I know elderberries contain cyanide and this can be removed by cooking them. Not wanting to cook them down to a pulp, I thought the best option would to microwave them for a couple of minutes. In fact we done this with the blackberries too, just to get the juices flowing.

Make your own fruit gin

Bottled and ready to go

Ingredients

500g of fruit
100g of sugar
70cl Gin (we used a supermarkets own brand of Gin)

Method

  1. Remove the fruit from their stalks and remove any unripe fruit.
  2. Place the fruit in a microwavable bowl and heat on full power for a couple of minutes.
  3. Place the fruit and sugar in a large sterilised jar. Pour over the Gin and give it a good shake.
  4. Over the next week, give the jar a good shake twice a day until all the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, store in a dark cupboard for around 4 weeks.
  5. Strain the berries and mixture and discard the berries. You should be left with a sweet tasting gin. If not, add more sugar.
  6. Return the Gin to the jar and store for another month or two before bottling and drinking.
Posted in General, Life | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Storm Arwen damage – Allotment video

Storm Arwen came through last night and this morning. Not good news for the allotment.

Posted in Allotment, General | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

We’re on the move – Moving to another allotment plot

We are moving plots! A plot come up on the allotment site that was a blank canvas, and we couldn’t resist it. We are currently moving everything over from the old plot. We’re really excited to work this new one.

Posted in Allotment | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Allotment Tour August 2021

It’s August, where has this year gone? Here’s the allotment tour for August 2021

Posted in Allotment | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Allotment Tour June 2021

It’s the beginning of June and the allotment is in full swing. Here’s a tour of the allotment in June 2021

Posted in Allotment | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

December Allotment Tour 2020

I’m posting more videos on YouTube at the moment, so go check out my channel and don’t forget to subscribe.

Posted in Allotment | Tagged , | Leave a comment

What have I been doing over the last 12 months

Wow, a year since my last update and a lot has changed. I’m posting more videos on YouTube at the moment, so go check out my channel and don’t forget to subscribe.

Posted in Allotment, Life | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Free Chicken Food and Free Fox Repellent

A quick and easy way of reducing your food bill for chickens. Also what I do to keep foxes away from my chickens.

Posted in Allotment, Chickens | Tagged , | Leave a comment

VIDEO: Allotment update – 20th October 2019

Following on from my post the other day, I posted this video on YouTube so you can visualise how my plot looks. Go check it out.

Posted in Allotment, General | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Downsizing

A couple of weeks ago, I took the decision to give up half of my allotment plot. I started my allotment journey back in 2012, when my first plot measure 12m x 5m, and then moved to a 25m x 5m plot in 2014, and then in 2016 took on the plot next door, giving me a 25m x 10m plot. However, since having more room to grow vegetables and fruit, I don’t seem to be using it efficiently enough and have been harvesting less and less each year. My theory is, by giving up half my plot, I have to think properly where to grow stuff and will have to manage it properly.

So last weekend, the downsizing began. We (myself and my family), moved one of the sheds and converted it into a chicken coop. The shed was just a dumping ground and wasn’t really been used, and with the existing coop needing to be replaced, an unused shed was perfect.

Unfortunately, I started to take the shed apart before taking pictures, but it didn’t take long to dismantle it. Luckily, when the shed was originally erected back in 2014, I put it on some pallets, so it’s still structurally sound.

I managed to source some new pallets to put down before moving the shed. So these were put in place, ready for the shed to be moved.

Once moved and erected, I measured the door and cut a hole big enough for the chickens to use. Some perches were built and made some nest boxes out of some large black plastic tubs. Unfortunately, I forgot to get some pictures of the inside 🙁

The final job was to move and re-attach the water barrels to the side of the shed so I can collect the rain water. Overall, it took us around 4 hours to move everything and I’m extremely happy with the results.

Posted in Allotment, Chickens | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment